For a few generations Institutions have been the dominant explanation for explaining the different levels of development between societies.
I recommend that you read these book summaries in the following order:
- “Why Nations Fail” by Acemoglu and Robinson
- “Violence and Social Orders” by North, Wallis and Weingast
- “The Origins of Political Order” by Francis Fukuyama
- “The Dictator’s Handbook” by Mesquita and Smith
- “Military Revolution and Political Change” by Brian Downing
- “Lineages of the Absolutist State” by Perry Anderson
If there is a book that you find particularly interesting, please support the author by buying the book.