Energy is the foundation for life, and it is the foundation of complex societies. Without a constant stream of useful energy, a society collapses into disorder (or what scientists call “entropy”). The discovery of new energy sources has been some of mankind greatest innovations.
This Learning Path is missing a number of key books, because I simply have not had the time to write notes for all the books that I have read. Once you finish reading this Learning Path, I would recommend reading any of the many books written by Vaclav Smil.
I recommend that you read these book summaries in the following order:
- “Energy and Civilization: A History” by Vaclav Smil
- “Energy Transitions” by Vaclav Smil
- “A Question of Power: Electricity and the Wealth of Nations” by Robert Bryce
- “The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil…” by Daniel Yergin
- “Prime Movers of Globalization: The History of Diesel Engines and Gas Turbines” by Vaclav Smil
- “Foragers, Farmers and Fossil Fuels” by Ian Morris
- “Power to the People: Energy in Europe over the Last Five Centuries” by Kander et al
If there is a book that you find particularly interesting, please support the author by buying the book.