Energy is a foundation for life. Without energy, all life ceases to exist. Energy is also a key foundation of complex societies. Without a constant stream of useful energy, a society collapses into disorder (or what scientists call “entropy”). The discovery of new energy sources have been some of mankind greatest innovations.
I recommend that you read these book summaries in the following order:
- “Energy and Civilization: A History” by Vaclav Smil
- “Energy Transitions” by Vaclav Smil
- “A Question of Power: Electricity and the Wealth of Nations” by Robert Bryce
- “Foragers, Farmers and Fossil Fuels” by Ian Morris
- “The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil…” by Daniel Yergin
- “Prime Movers of Globalization: The History of Diesel Engines and Gas Turbines” by Vaclav Smil
- “Power to the People: Energy in Europe over the Last Five Centuries” by Kander et al
- “Energy: Engine of Evolution” by Frank Niele
- “Natural Gas: Fuel for the 21st Century” by Vaclav Smil
- “How Solar Energy Became Cheap” by Gregory Nemet
If there is a book that you find particularly interesting, please support the author by buying the book.